Thursday, August 29, 2013

Face to face with the deathbringer himself

While I'm thinking about what to write next, I thought I'd share with you that I ran into George R.R. Martin today. For those who don't know, he's the author of the Song of Ice and Fire novels, aka A Game of Thrones. The saga takes place in a dark fantasy realm which is inspired more by the historical Wars of the Roses than The Lord of the Rings. There are no elves or dwarves, just men. Magic is much rarer and subtler. And, as the title of this post implies, any character you love or hate can die in the story at any time, by mundane or horrific causes.

I may do a write-up on the Song of Ice and Fire saga at some point as a reflection of our modern world's rebirth of interest in all things medieval (along with other things like Skyrim, etc.). In the meantime, here's my photo op of the day.


2 comments:

  1. My fiance met him at a house party after one night at AggieCon.
    He tells me that Martin was sitting on a chair, with a rather sizeable group of middle age women hanging on him, and a few fanboys sitting on the floor in front of him.
    It made my fiance laugh...and as he left the party later that night, he shouted "Winter's a lie bitches!!" (sorry 'bout the language, it fit the humor, so he used it) and then hurried out the door. He says as he was driving down the street, a flood of angry sycophants were boiling out the door shouting at him. He says it was the highpoint of the weekend. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's some serious trolling.

      I barely missed AggieCon. Not long after, I made a trip to Texas A&M and saw the exhibit on A Song of Ice and Fire at one of the campus libraries.

      Delete